Skip to main content

Week Five: Friday, September 30, 2022

 Welcome: 

This week marked the mid-point of the first quarter. I realize we only have two (or three) graded assignments submitted, so it may not seem like much, but the frequency of grades will pick up soon. We spend a good deal of time practicing procedures and protocols during the first part of the quarter and now we are "cooking with fire." I was planning on discussing the "re-do" policy and procedures with the students on Friday but I was at home with a sick kiddo--so I'll introduce it on Monday. The students will have the opportunity to resubmit nearly every assignment they do this year as I wholeheartedly believe in second-chance learning. The students will simply need to complete a "re-do" ticket and turn that in with the work they are resubmitting.

As I was out on Friday, I once again did NOT get a chance to show a video--however, I will be showing one on Monday when we return. This week's video comes from a guy named Inky Johnson and is called "Impose Your Will." Inky was on the fast track to being a millionaire and NFL player before an injury changed everything in an instant. I think you'll love this video-I know I do! 



Last Week:

Tuesday: Tuesday was a "what you need" day for the students. Some students needed to finish the Boston Massacre writing piece we did in class on Friday (#019 on the Google Classroom) and others were ready to move on. While the students that needed more time to finish their essays wrote, the rest of the class watched part of America the Story of Us to help gain a broad overview of how we went from the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock, to the first shirts being fired at Lexington & Concord. 

*The honor's classes finished working on their #018-Copare & Contrast Colonial Protests products instead of the writing--they finished that earlier last week. 

Wednesday: The whole goal of today was to have the students practice something called "Numbermania." In this activity, the students create infographics to tell the story of a historical event. Today, the students created infographics about the Declaration of Independence and the Second Continental Congress. Check out some of the work the kids were able to do in only one class period

Thursday: We spent today diving into the Declaration to gain a deeper understanding of the goals of our nation. The students were wowed by a story of true love and heartbreak (you'll have to ask them about it) and then we discussed how the Declaration was basically the greatest breakup letter in human history (eat your heart out Taylor Swift). We ended the day by working on paraphrasing and trying to translate the Declaration into modern-day language. 

Friday: I was out today but the students continued to work with the preamble of the Declaration by creating either text messages or "Instagram posts" with the content. This assignment is graded and will be finished in class on Monday. 

Next Week: 

Next week is a bit of an odd week! We are off of school on Wednesday and the students will have shortened class periods on two days so they can take some diagnostic testing. Here's a rough plan of what we're hoping to accomplish in class next week: 
  • Complete ✅ #024-Friday, September 30, 2022, and submit it. 
  • Discuss the process for submitting late work and resubmitting work. 
  • Complete a mid-quarter self and course evaluation. 
  • Complete a "Thick Slide" to help understand the Constitutional Convention. 
  • Begin to discuss the principles of our nation as set forth by the Constitution. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One (2023-24): Friday, September 1, 2023

Welcome:  Welcome to my blog to keep you up to date with what's going on in my social studies classes! I will try my best to remain consistent and up to date with this so if you notice me slipping please call me on it. The whirlwind of the first week of school has come to an end and it was a busy one for the students! We were able to meet with administrators, get the new lunch procedures down, take a team photo, and figure out the new schedule with homeroom at the start of the day!  Each week I enjoy taking some class time on Friday to show a video that is about more than just social studies. Sometimes the videos will be serious, and sometimes they will be funny, but they are always meant to get the students thinking about their own lives and those around them. This week I showed an oldie but a goodie--a segment from ESPN called Outside the Lines about two wrestlers who encounter and overcome a variety of obstacles. I hope you enjoy the video!  This Past Week:  Both my Social Studi

Week Two: Friday, September 8, 2023

Welcome:  Week two is in the books! The one thing I love about starting before Labor Day is that the students have truly come to appreciate the holiday weekend. I hope you all had a great weekend and a good second week back. This week we watched a video that was created by Jay Shetty all about the real meaning of success in life. I try my best to remember this as a teacher throughout the year.  This Past Week:  Tuesday: We'll be having quite a few discussions/debates in class this year and today the students experienced something called a Carousel Debate. This activity forces students to think of things from multiple perspectives to develop an argument. We discussed whether or not students should spend time studying history Wednesday: We continued learning about ways to develop an argument today when we investigated the Claim-Evidence-Reasoning method of argumentative writing. The students investigated whether or not they consider a hot dog to be a sandwich, compiled research onto

Week Three: Friday, September 15, 2023

 Welcome:  Wow--what a week! This most likely goes without saying but I have never experienced anything like this in my 20 years of teaching. I'm extremely proud of the way this community came together and supported one another during the crazy events that unfolded this week. I realize that many of us are still trying to process what we endured as a community this week so if you feel there is anything I can do to help support your child please don't hesitate to reach out.  Now on to happier things--namely, the video I showed this week. The video that we watched in class is extra special for me because it was made by one of my former students. Juliana was a member of the graduating class of 2020 and she created this video as a project for one of her film classes in high school. I love showing this because it reminds the students to appreciate the time they have since it flies by-and this is much more meaningful coming from a 17-year-old instead of a 42-year-old teacher!  This Pa